Monday, December 10, 2012

Ode to the Cookie Press & My Favorite Recipe

 Spritz cookies (or cookie gun cookies as we call them) have been a family tradition for over 50 years.  My mom grew up making these cookies, I grew up making these cookies, and now they are a favorite of my children.  I recently purchased this vintage Wear-Ever cookie gun - mint in the box!  It was very similar to the one my mother had when she was little.  I love just staring at the box :)

My first cookie gun was this white one from Kuhn Rikon.  I loved it.  It finally died from over use.  So I purchased the Wilton one.
 This Wilton one has not been my favorite.  Evey time I used it I would remind myself to be on the look out for a new one!  So this December I broke down and bought another Kuhn Rikon.  I was excited to have new discs: a snowman, candy cane and pumpkin!


Here is my favorite spritz cookie recipe.  It's buttery with a hint of almond.  I love making these cookies at Christmas but they are also fun at Valentine's Day and the perfect size for Tea Parties!

Amanda's Spritz Cookies
1 cup butter
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. (plus) Almond Extract
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt

Mix and use in your cookie press.  Top with colored sugar sprinkles.  Bake at 400 degrees for 8 minutes.  Enjoy!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment