Friday, May 3, 2013

Ruffle Pillow Tutorial

Don't you love ruffles?  They make everything so happy!  I have seen ruffle pillows all over the internet and I have been wanting to try one.  This is my version; I hope you want to make one too!

Choose your fabrics.  I wanted my pillow colorful, so I choose this aqua, orange & yellow print from xo.gigi fabrics.com.  I love it!  Then I choose a thin white cotton with a textured dot.

This is the fun part because you get to rip your fabric.  I snipped my white fabric every 2 inches then ripped all the way down the width of the fabric.

I used my gathering foot to make the ruffling go really fast.  If you don't have a ruffling foot, just sew a gathering stitch and gather by hand. (if you like ruffles you must get this foot - it is so much fun!)


My pillow form is 18" so I cut my front and back piece 19".  I inserted my invisible zipper before I sewed the ruffles on.  It made it easier.  For my back I choose a piece of neutral colored linen.

 If you are picky you should measure this part, I just eyeballed it.  I placed my ruffles so there was about 1 inch between each row.  I wanted to see the fabric through the ruffles.  If you want a ruffle-only pillow you could use plain fabric and place the ruffles right up next to each other.

This part takes a while because it requires a lot of pinning.  Half way through I was almost temped to get out the hot glue gun and make this project go really fast!



 Once all the ruffles are pinned down, sew along the gathering stitch.

 You can finish this like you would finish any pillow.  You could do an envelope back, stuff it with fiber-fill, or a zipper closure like I did.

Sew & Turn!!

Bottom view of my pillow....I am getting good at those invisible zippers!  Next time I will time myself to see how fast I can sew one!!

      


I can't decide if I like the ruffles going horizontal or vertical.  I suppose it doesn't matter :)



Amanda

2 comments:

  1. Another lovely pillow! I love the fabric! Nice ruffles!

    Navy Wifey Peters @ Submarine Sunday Link Party
    http://usscrafty.blogspot.com/2013/05/submarine-sunday-30.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute. I love ruffle pillows. I love that you used a fun, colorful fabric for the pillow and sheer white fabric for the ruffles.

    Lori @ A Bright and Beautiful Life
    www.abrightandbeautifullife.com

    ReplyDelete